Sunday, May 16, 2010

6 years of Service...

This picture was taken when Kevin graduated basic training in San Antonio, TX at Lackland AFB.- 2004

Well, after 6 years of service in the United States Air Force my husband is being honorably discharged for completing his enlistment. He served as a Fireman. I am SO very proud to have a husband who has served in our military. I think that that is something very special and important because there aren't many men, in this day and age, that can say this. However I am lucky, my husband was never deployed over seas. (Luckily, there wasn't as much of a demand for firefighters at that time.)
I made a scrapbook for Kevin of when he was in basic training and these are a few pages from it. The one of the left is him and his dad. The top picture is actually his dad's military picture. His dad was also a fireman in the Air Force.


After basic training, for 6 weeks, it was on to his Tech School/Fire School for 16 weeks. This was in San Angelo, TX at Goodfellow AFB. This was such a hard thing to go through, not having your honey there with you for such long periods. But every relationship, I think, needs to be tested with something like this. In the end, I am SO happy and proud and there is nothing I would have done differently. I mailed a camera to Kevin in one of my letters so that I could have some pictures to scrapbook with.
This is by far my favorite picture that he took. He was telling me that he forgot to turn the flash on, and that he thought the picture didn't turn out well. But the first time I saw it I thought, wow I love that its just the silhouette of the engine and the firefighter with the sunset in the background!
On another note, there are still many men and women serving and fighting over seas. Please keep them and their families in your thoughts and prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh Lauren, I just got teary-eyed!! I am so proud of Kevin & his accomplishments. And I am proud of YOU for making it through those hard times...I know it was tough!! I remember when we were in Auburn and Kevin would call from his cell phone while they marched(just so you could hear it), & no matter where we were (at home, a party, etc) we just sat there and listened to them chanting...the smile on your face & the happy tears were priceless! And I remember just sitting there with you while you cried because you missed him so much! I am thankful that I was able to be there for you & see first hand how strong yalls love was for each other. And how much stronger it is today ;) I LOVE YOU BESTIE!!

    ReplyDelete