Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Beach Trip 6/9/10-6/13/10

I know I'm behind on my posts and I'm making up for that today. On 6.9.10 we left for the beach with 2 other couples: Steve and Laura; and Daniel (Spears) and Meredith. Kevin's parents were nice enough to let us stay at their house on the bay side of Orange Beach. While we were enjoying our long weekend at the beach there was hardly any oil. We swam in the Gulf every day. There was no smell, or taste, or sheen to the water. Very pretty.
(That is seaweed that you see in the sand, not oil)

We spent our days on the beach, for about 7-8 hours each day. The boys were learning to skim board and the girls reading magazines and chatting. We also threw the football, my favorite, and relaxed in our chairs listening to music. A nice little vacation, not far from home.

While laying out on the beach a banner flew overhead, you know the ones that the planes are always advertising with, and that is what it said! I completely agree! There was one every day that we were there with a new day on it each time. At this time it was 54 days and still nothing done about the oil spill.

This is the "A team" storming the beach. Or at least that's what it looks like to me. haha!

This was our first night out at the FloraBama. (From left to right: Spears, Meredith, Laura, Steve and Kevin and I)


Our second night out we had dinner at Guy Harveys, yum, and hung out at the Wharf. We rode the Ferris wheel and the girls had our picture taken with "Sharky." BTW I didn't realize that I was a little leary of heights until I was at the top of the Ferris wheel. Exciting but nerve racking too. =0) On our third night we just spent more time on the beach and then came in and grilled out and hung out at the house for the evening. The beach takes alot of you, believe it or not.
On our final morning at the beach the oil started to come in. This is a tar ball that I picked up. (I know I prob shouldn't have touched it, but it was fine) It was very pliable and weird. It started to creep into the bay, as you can see. All under the dock is oil. Its very sad, but crews were and are doing everything they can to keep the beaches clean. We still had a fabulous time while we were there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment